 Off-Topic / Debate / 15745
Re: If you oppose drug legalization, you support terrorism!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:50:14 GMT

Note that I'm speaking as someone who's experience of recreational drugs is
limited to caffeine, alcohol & grass (which I haven't used for >10 years).
They all make you feel good for a short while, but I'm convinced they all
have bad long-term effects. As you say, that doesn't mean they should be
illegal though.

I think that each of those chemicals has bad long (and short) term effects
when used to excess.  Medicine pretty much says that alchol in fair
moderation is better to have than to be without.

  Are you sure about that bit?  I've heard, for instance, that two glasses
of red wine per week can be heart-beneficial, but that isn't the same as a
correlation between alcohol consumption and benefit; there are plenty of
other components in red wine.  If you're referring to other data, I'd be
interested to read them.

Why assume the opposite for marijuana, caffeine, or even cocaine?

  It's dangerous to assume risk or safety of one substance based on another
(maybe a little bit of ingested plutonium or would be good for us?) but your
point isn't a bad one.  In any case, I don't think that medicine assumes the
danger of consuming small amounts of these substances, since they've
basically been demonstrated to be either helpful or at least non-harmful.
The issue, at least for cocaine, might be of the danger of imprecise
self-medication--barring a pre-existing condition, it's pretty hard to OD on
pot or No-Doz, but cocaine is a trifle more risky.

Heavy pot smokers run the risk of damaging their lungs, so why not take THC
orally?  Caffeine -- and even amphetamines, have a valid role as temporary
stimulants.  My mom attributes her success in college (with a job and little
boy) to her addiction to speed for a semester.

  My boy Philp Dick wrote and sold many novels while zonked on speed, chased
with milkshakes.  Given the right circumstances and personality type, I
don't doubt certain self-medications can be quite positive!

     Dave!