 Off-Topic / Debate / 15735
Re: If you oppose drug legalization, you support terrorism!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:50:11 GMT

The White House Office of Drug Control Policy has started an ad campaign in
which they are attempting a clever diversion through the logical
equivalent of smoke and mirrors.  Their assertion is that by consuming
product (cocaine) from places like Colombia, you are promoting terrorism by
providing the economy needed by violent drug lords to commit all manner of
atrocities.

The truth is that, ...[snip]... If cocaine bacame legal in the US, violence
in Colombia would settle.  The 30-year (or whatever) revolution funded by the
drug lords would run out of steam with no new monetary influx.

I'd say the truth is that legalization isn't associable. It might be more
correct to say that if you support illegal drug use, you support terrorism,
albeit inderectly. Whether or not its legalization would change the
terrorist state isn't easily determinable-- at least not from what I know,
although I'd be tempted to agree with you on what knowledge I have.

These advertisements constitute an outrageous attempt to place the blame for
third-world terror (which rests clearly on the laps of anti-drug folks (in
this case)) on the drug consumers.  It is a twisted attempt to dehumanize
those who choose to self-medicate.

Now... is THIS what the ad campaign is saying? Or are they saying that being
in favor of drug legalization is indirectly supporting terrorism? Because
it's actually correct, I'd argue. It's just that legalizing drugs is another
way around the support for terrorism, short of stopping illegal drug use,
one might say.

One might also argue that by legalizing drugs, production of drug products
would give more money to these third world countries & factions, and might
support them in other causes in which they would subscribe to terrorism? IE
that these people, when given money, use terrorism, so take their money
away. I don't think I'd support the arguement, but I could see it being
viable. The impetus behind this being ultimately one I'd *personally* agree
with, which would be to get 3rd world countries producing actually valuable
assets

You mean like coffee and cocoa?  Well they're certainly getting my support, as
I start each morning with a pot of 100% Columbian-- and I sometimes have
chocolate at breakfast.

and a good system of commerce to get them out of being deemed "3rd
world".

It seems to me any distinction made between the goods we find acceptable, i.e.,
the coffee and cocoa, and those we don't (cocaine) is completely arbitrary and
capricious.

Can you imagine if we weren't a nation fueled by coffee, and this brown
amphetamine-like liquid were newly introduced in this country?  You can bet
there'd be cries to ban it.  The only difference is that most people here have
parents who drank coffee, and we grow up to drink it ourselves because it's
always been acceptable.

And actually cocaine has much in common with the above mentioned products-- it
is agricultural rather than manufactured or high-technology, and it is
something suited more to the South American climate than our own.  And not to
be cynical, but it is probably in our best interests (and certainly in the best
interest of preserving the environment) that they remain an agriculture-based
economy because look what happens when economies move beyond to manufacturing,
and then to more advanced technologies.  Not only will their economies grow in
size, but the disenfranchised in our country will start to whine about yet
another country's inhabitants taking their jobs away.

But that's also not just as easy as cutting off their drug trade, I
would argue in counterpoint.

Well, perhaps not as gutsy.  I'd say the greatest argument against drug
legalization is Starbuck's.  It's scary to think what the equivalent here would
be if cocaine were legal!  ;-)

Maggie C.