 Off-Topic / Debate / 15755
Re: If you oppose drug legalization, you support terrorism!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 12:15:07 GMT

Medicine pretty much says that alchol in fair
moderation is better to have than to be without.

Are you sure about that bit?  I've heard, for instance, that two glasses
of red wine per week can be heart-beneficial, but that isn't the same as a
correlation between alcohol consumption and benefit; there are plenty of
other components in red wine.  If you're referring to other data, I'd be
interested to read them.

Maybe I got it wrong.  I know about the red wine thing, but I also remember
the frequency of intake being greater, so maybe I'm just mixed up.  I thought
it was a glass per day or something.  But I thought there was some greater
effect attributed to alcohol like blood-thinning or vascular relaxation...or
something.  I'll poke around and see if I can find it.  Sorry for my
imprecision.

It's dangerous to assume risk or safety of one substance based on another
(maybe a little bit of ingested plutonium or would be good for us?)

Good point.  But I've seen people ingest those others and come away seemingly
fine.  I understand that's not the case with plutonium, and lots of other
stuff.

The issue, at least for cocaine, might be of the danger of imprecise
self-medication--barring a pre-existing condition, it's pretty hard to OD on
pot or No-Doz, but cocaine is a trifle more risky.

But maybe if there were a small cocaine industry, education about appropriate
amounts, and materials for measuring -- or even premeasured doses prepared at a
lab would be available.  I can only imagine legalization reducting the number
of ODs.

My boy Philp Dick wrote and sold many novels while zonked on speed, chased
with milkshakes.  Given the right circumstances and personality type, I
don't doubt certain self-medications can be quite positive!

I keep a small stash of narcotic pharmaceuticals (the most valuable (to me) of
which is codeine cough syrup) for self medication because I know how to use
them safely.  I've never once taken a narcotic for anything but control of
serious pain.  And Tylenol-3s are available right across the border, but I'd
rather have hydrocodone.

Chris