 Off-Topic / Debate / 15724
Re: If you oppose drug legalization, you support terrorism!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 03:06:24 GMT

John wrote:

The White House Office of Drug Control Policy has started an ad campaign in
which they are attempting a clever diversion through the logical
equivalent of smoke and mirrors.  Their assertion is that by consuming product
(cocaine) from places like Colombia, you are promoting terrorism by providing
the economy needed by violent drug lords to commit all manner of atrocities.

The truth is that, there is enough money in cocaine production that people are
willing to be bad, only because the great and wealthy nations of the world have
artificially inflated the price of the product through trade barriers.  If
cocaine bacame legal in the US, violence in Colombia would settle.

One might *suppose* the violence would settle, but we have no way of knowing
that, much less calling that hypothetical "truth".

My gut feel is that for a while the violence would continue as those
currently in positions of power because of the current system attempted
to maintain those positions. Eventually they would be unable to maintain
their positions.

How many Americans would you suppose could use a highly addictive drug such as
cocaine "responsibly"?  If cocaine were legalized, I suspect we'd have a lot of
drug-related violence (refer to stats on alcohol-related deaths in this country)
in *this* country.

First let me see U.S. citizens use alcohol responsibly, then we can talk about
coke....

My feeling is that the currently illegal drugs are far less of a problem
than alcohol. Other than pot, I don't see many of the drugs increasing
in social acceptance that much.

What we really need rather than hodge podge regulation, is to develop
comprehensive (private) programs. We need to turn our culture towards
accepting and requiring responsibility. I'm all for prosecuting drunk
driving which results in a fatality as murder.

Our culture which treats alcohol as somehow very different from other
drugs, and doesn't even really acknowledge the drug nature of caffeine,
is just broken. For some reason it's funny to get smashed and ruin a
party with your loud voice and violent actions, but the cops are called
if you light up a joint in the privacy of your own home.

Frank