 Off-Topic / Debate / 15737
Re: If you oppose drug legalization, you support terrorism!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:40:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Your implication here (and I guess John's before you) is that because some
people use cocaine irresponsibly, we should make it illegal.  What about
alcohol?  What about tobacco?  What about cars?  Or telephones or computers or
paperclips?  What about box cutters or airplanes?  Should everything be
illegal?

Maybe you're right, Chris. I just can't get past seeing a friend's family
breaking up because they were always arguing about money, when they had a
combined tobacco habit of about $200/w. Sure, criminalising tobacco wouldn't
have helped. It's interesting that he's now kicked the habit (she still
smokes though).

So I guess what really bugs me about most recreational drugs is I've never
seen them have a positive affect on families. I guess that doesn't mean they
never do, though. But happy families seem to be pretty rare these days, and
you have to wonder if that's a significant factor in the increasing violence
(including terrorism).

Should cocaine (etc) be legalised? I really can't see it making much
difference. Maybe the drug lords will make less money for a while, but is it
worth it if the drugs do nothing positive anyway? But, as you say, it would
increase the police resources available in other areas, which sounds good to
me. I guess I'll have to mull over it for a while.

Note that I'm speaking as someone who's experience of recreational drugs is
limited to caffeine, alcohol & grass (which I haven't used for >10 years).
They all make you feel good for a short while, but I'm convinced they all
have bad long-term effects. As you say, that doesn't mean they should be
illegal though.

ROSCO