 Off-Topic / Debate / 15738
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:43:20 GMT

Suppose I buy a CD and, in accordance with my understanding "fair use"
regulations, I make a copy for my own private use.  I retain the original
but listen to the copy.  Now suppose at some point my finances become
strained, and I am obliged to sell the original copy of the CD.  What am I
required to do with my backup copy?  Do I give it to the buyer for no
additional charge?  Do I destroy it?

You are no longer complying with fair use if you have sold the original.
You should destroy it or pass it along with the original to the new owner.

OK, so if it's a CDRW, you can just write over it.  But if it's a CDR you have
to eat the material cost.  If you intend to repurchase the CD, can you just
hang on to the copy, not accessing the data -- just storing it, and then use it
again once you renew your license?

Why don't the music companies just license the music and get out of the media
business altogether?  It seems like a losing proposition anyway.

Chris