 Off-Topic / Debate / 15776
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:55:09 GMT

what about the manufacturer's "right" to sell a product compatible with only
one type of hardware?

Like DVD region issues?  Yikes! Talk about shooting themselves in the foot...

I go with the book license as suggested by Frank -- I own a copy of a thing,
how I use it is up to me.  If I own the song on vinyl -- I can dupe it to CD
or MP3. Obviously, I can only listen to one copy at time in a meaningful
way. How I choose to back up my licensed copy should be up to me.

  Ding!  I got it!  In my broad-sighted way I was thinking only of the
problems of the original copy, rather than the fair-use backups.

Have you never made a cassette tape of a favorite album to listen to in the
car (and this because you didn't really want to drag around a turntable
stereo system like a ball and chain)?

  No, but I sometimes spin a CD on my finger and shine a laser pointer on it
for the economical way to listen!

We are getting closer to the "at loggerheads" issues between copyrights and
fair use.  Should I have to buy separate copies of songs for my old
turntable, my CD carousel, and my computer MP3 player?  So, if I want to
hear Syd Barrett sing "See Emily Play" I have to stay home and hear it on
vinyl (which I have) or pay for more mobile copies of the song as CD or MP3
(that would then be duplicate copies for me)?  I think I know what the music
industry wants here -- but when is enough $$$ actually going to be enough
$$$ for them?!

  Well, now that I got your basic point (see the top of my post!) I don't
think we need to worry about loggerheads this time.  I'd say the music
industry will never have "enough" money, in their opinion, so we just have
to shelve that objection, unfortunately.
  I may have misstated my precise point regarding one's own copies: I would
guess, though I'm not sure, that "fair use" allows you to make copies for
your own usage on any media platform you care to use--that's fine, as far as
I'm concerned.  But fair use (and this is my intended point) doesn't allow
Person A to burn a copy for Person B just because Person B doesn't own the
proper media platform and/or doesn't ever plan or want to buy the original.
That's when it's theft.
  However, I agree completely that the music industry is hobbling itself and
inspiring piracy due to the perceptions (right or wrong) that the industry
is glutted with wealth and that it goes to unfair lengths to horde ever more
money.
  That brings up another point that I mentioned once before about the
ridiculously artificial cost of music.  A local record store has The Final
Cut on CD for $19.99!  Good grief!  I mean, the album is 20 years old and
wasn't that popular in the first place!  Nine years ago I bought it for
$8.98 at regular retail price, when The Wall was $26.99.  For further
comparison, a music store in my former town of residence sold The Final Cut
usually for about 60% of the price of, say, Meddle or Dark Side of the Moon,
and the price stayed at that relative level for the entire time I was
conscious of it.  Why, suddenly, does this less-than-praised,
less-than-popular disc suddenly rate the same already over-inflated price as
the more marketable stuff?  Yes, the store is free to charge whatever it
wants, and yes of course that doesn't justify my theft of the music, but
what motivates them to retain such a high price, especially when the same
disc sits on the shelf for two years or more?  As you say--they're shooting
themselves in the foot.

     Dave!