 Off-Topic / Debate / 15770
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 18:19:22 GMT

Rather than try and respond to specific points, I'm going to try an lay
out my thoughts. Richard and Christopher have raised some interesting
issues.

Clearly the ideal is that the creator of a work get fairly compensated.
This suggests that the more popular the work, the more the creator gets
compensated.

It is also clear to me that no individual can distribute their work
throughout the whole world. This means that there is some sort of
distribution network. Of course with the internet, that network is more
and more a physical thing which anyone can use. 30 years ago, that
network was a publisher, stores, libraries, bars, theaters, museums,
radio stations, and TV. To me, it is clear that if someone is doing some
work to promote a work, that person should get compensated also.

It is my belief that the model of how creative works are distributed and
the artists are compensated will change drastically. It is my belief
that it will change to a mode where people will make sure the artist is
fairly compensated for their use of the work. Why? If we don't tranform
to that model, artists will stop producing. Of course when that happens,
perhaps we'll realize that we need to support the artists.

I also think that despite the ease of distribution, the middle men will
NOT disappear. However, I think they will become more respected. We will
subscribe to review web sites which we trust. Those sites will provide
links to the artists pages, where we will then download the art under
the terms offered by the artist (pay immediately, try it and pay if we
like it, join the fan club with annual dues, or whatever).

As always, there will be a body of uncompensated creation. Brickshelf is
a good example of someplace showcasing works for which most of the
creators are not compensated by anything other than a few kind words and
the good feeling of sharing.

In the current model, it is clearly ok to load your books and your CDs.
You can get away with copying them, but I think that's wrong. I always
liked Borland's "like a book" license which said you could have as many
copies as you wanted so long as only one person was ever using the
software at a time. This of course does allow some people to time share
and double or tripple the use of the software, but that causes it's own
headaches.

Borland's early history is an interesting example of semi-share ware. I
can't tell you how many people I loaned Turbo Pascal 2.0 to, who very
quickly bought their own copy. For $29.95 it was worth having your own
copy of the book.

I am interested in seeing where Linux really goes. My feeling is that it
will never be as successefull as it could have been had it been under a
licensing agreement which required compensation. That doesn't
necessarily mean that the idea of open source will fail. One could pay a
foundation for copies of the software, and then the foundation pays the
contributors based contribution.

I hope this gives a better understanding of my position. I don't really
disagree with Richard and Christopher that much. The main thing I see is
that we should respect the system we have now while we push for the new
system to emerge.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com