 Off-Topic / Debate / 15775
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:55:11 GMT

what about the manufacturer's "right" to sell a product compatible with only
one type of hardware?

Like DVD region issues?  Yikes! Talk about shooting themselves in the foot

I agree it's limiting their own sales more than anything else, but much as I
dislike the idea, I think they have the right to distribute DVDs as they see
fit. Of course with so many non-region DVD players still available, it's a
pretty ineffective "solution".

Note also that CSS (the DVD enryption scheme) doesn't stop pirating - the
DVD can still be copied in it's encrypted entirety - it just can't be
decrypted (played) except on a player with the correct region setting.

The important thing it's shown is that US authorities are able to detain
people from other countries for making public methods of circumvention. A
rather nasty precedent, IMO.

ROSCO