 Off-Topic / Debate / 15772
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 21:29:11 GMT

My objection to excessive worrying over copyrights has to do with stuff that
is just bloody stupid.  Case in point: I have heard that there are music CDs
that will not play in computer drives. If I ever bought such a disk without
warning that it was thusly limited, I would find a way to defeat the
protection (thanks Philips!) and return the product as unusable.  How are we
supposed to get rid of TVs, stereos, and telephones and move towards
convergent hardware if media becomes hardware specific?  What ever happened
to my right to make a backup copy?  What ever happened to my right to listen
to something on the hardware of my choosing?

  While I agree with you on the value of convergent media, I don't know that
one's "right to listen to something on the hardware of [his] choosing" is
really the crux of it.  That is, you're welcome to listen to your Maurice
Chevalier 78's on your DVD player, but it won't do you much good.  The same
with a "computer-proof" CD; it's not designed to play in a CD-Rom drive
(more correctly, it's designed *not* to play in a CD-Rom drive).  I'm not
sure that the intent of design is even that relevant--what about the
manufacturer's "right" to sell a product compatible with only one type of
hardware?  It might not be economically smart in the long run, but isn't it
their "right?"

     Dave!