 Off-Topic / Debate / 15731
15730  |  15732
Subject:
Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:21:29 GMT

Lately I've been lightheartedly condemning a coworker for his habit of
signing CD's out of the local library, burning copies of them, and returning
the originals, all without paying a cent to the copyright owner, of course.
But in considering a number of "yeah, but..." propositions, I came up with
this one:

Suppose I buy a CD and, in accordance with my understanding "fair use"
regulations, I make a copy for my own private use.  I retain the original
but listen to the copy.  Now suppose at some point my finances become
strained, and I am obliged to sell the original copy of the CD.  What am I
required to do with my backup copy?  Do I give it to the buyer for no
additional charge?  Do I destroy it?

All of this hinges on my shaky grasp of "fair use," so I'd welcome a little
enlightenment.

     Dave!