 Off-Topic / Debate / 15780
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 07:21:27 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
  That brings up another point that I mentioned once before about the
ridiculously artificial cost of music.  A local record store has The Final
Cut on CD for $19.99!  Good grief!  I mean, the album is 20 years old and
wasn't that popular in the first place!  Nine years ago I bought it for
$8.98 at regular retail price, when The Wall was $26.99.

Something to consider is that a low volume item will have a higher cost.
Some cost factors for a CD:

- how long does it sit on the stores shelf (anyone know what fraction of
a penny it costs for a CD to sit on the shelf of a music store for a
day?)?
- how much does it cost to ship (should be minuscule)?
- how much does it cost to manufacture (should be pretty small)?
- how much does it cost to set up the manufacturing run?
- how much does it cost to create the packaging?
- how much does it cost to create a good digital recording?
- how much does it cost to find the original studio masters?
- how much return on investment does the publisher deserve?
- what taxes are imposed if the item is an import?
- how much is given to the artist for each copy?
- how much does it cost to secure the permission to make the new copy?

Some of these things clearly cost a bundle, and if the run is small,
that bundle must be distributed across a smaller number of CDs. I
suspect the cost inflation really isn't quite as outrageous as we
sometimes would like to believe. On the other hand, I'm sure the list
price could be lower and everyone would still be able to make reasonable
profits, but there is always the question what is a reasonable profit?

Frank