 Off-Topic / Debate / 15759
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 00:41:16 GMT

The whole problem here in the U.S. is that corporations don't want to miss
out on a single penny.  The recent Copyright laws (DMCA) basicly state that
if you didn't pay for it, then you're a criminal... if you want to see what
something is, pay for it.

There are so many things I would never have bought had I not friends who
would give me copies of music or movies.  When I left Highschool and began
earning money, I went out and bought all the things I had sampled and liked.
Most people want the real deal, not just some free knock-off.

The idea that my giving away a couple of copies to friends, who don't have
any money to spare, can be considered a criminal offense is sickening.
Corporations are not losing money this way.  Most people who get these free
copies simply don't have the money to spend to begin with.

One argument is that prices have increased because of pirating, however,
prices have increased so rapidly that many people have simply lost their
purchasing power.  Yet, instead of producing a more accessable product, they
came up with the pirating scapegoat.

And that is my unprofessional, uneducated opinion on the matter.

As far as I'm concerned, not only should you keep your copy, but make a
couple extras for your friends as well.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
Hello,

Suppose I buy a CD and, in accordance with my understanding "fair use"
regulations, I make a copy for my own private use.  I retain the original
but listen to the copy.  Now suppose at some point my finances become
strained, and I am obliged to sell the original copy of the CD.  What am I
required to do with my backup copy?  Do I give it to the buyer for no
additional charge?  Do I destroy it?

I don't know about the US, but here in Germany, we pay part of the price for
each tape deck, CD burner, etc. into a pool that is meant to compensate the
artists and copyright holders for the private copies made with those
devices. Consequently, our law allows us to make such copies, provided they
are for our own private use. Note that the term "private use" is a lot more
loose than "backup use". For example, it is legitimate to make a copy to
give away to a relative or friend. It is also legal to borrow a CD and make
a copy for one's own use. Of course, any commercial use of the copies is
prohibited. But I would feel safe selling the original of the CD and keeping
the copy, because the end result is the same as if I would briefly borrow
the CD from the buyer, and make the copy. Again, this is just Germany, and
potentially other countries in the EU.

With the exception of the Artist's pool, the situation is similar in
Portugal. You can copy whatever you wish, as long as you have bought the
original and don't make any money selling the copies (giveaways are OK).

Pedro