 Off-Topic / Debate / 15766
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:13:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

Every copy of a work which is shared without being paid for does
increase the cost to those who pay for their copies.

How?  If I give you a CD that I duped, that you would never in a million years
have purchased, I don't see how it effects the profits of the music company
that made the CD that I bought.  It just doesn't!

Same with books and software and everything.

  If he wouldn't have purchased it a million years, then why would he want
you to give a copy to him?  If you're giving a copy to him because he wants
it but wouldn't in a million years deign to purchase it, then it's theft.
Same with books and software and everything.
  If, for instance, I really like your car but wouldn't in a million years
pay money to buy it from you, does that give me the right to help myself to
your car?  Intellectual property rights don't simply apply to the physical
CD itself; they pertain to the material contained thereon.  The copy you
give away constitutes theft of that material, just as my taking of your car
would be theft.
  I have a friend who really likes the new Blacksmith's Shop but wouldn't in
a million years pay to own it, is it okay for me to photocopy the
instructions and give them to my friend?

     Dave!