 Off-Topic / Debate / 15733
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:37:10 GMT

Suppose I buy a CD and, in accordance with my understanding "fair use"
regulations, I make a copy for my own private use.  I retain the original
but listen to the copy.  Now suppose at some point my finances become
strained, and I am obliged to sell the original copy of the CD.  What am I
required to do with my backup copy?  Do I give it to the buyer for no
additional charge?  Do I destroy it?

You are no longer complying with fair use if you have sold the original.
You should destroy it or pass it along with the original to the new owner.

Bruce