 Off-Topic / Debate / 15773
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:06:31 GMT

what about the manufacturer's "right" to sell a product compatible with only
one type of hardware?

Like DVD region issues?  Yikes! Talk about shooting themselves in the foot...

I go with the book license as suggested by Frank -- I own a copy of a thing,
how I use it is up to me.  If I own the song on vinyl -- I can dupe it to CD
or MP3. Obviously, I can only listen to one copy at time in a meaningful
way. How I choose to back up my licensed copy should be up to me. Have you
never made a cassette tape of a favorite album to listen to in the car (and
this because you didn't really want to drag around a turntable stereo system
like a ball and chain)?  Vinyl and tape are not the same media -- should I
consult the music industry first, before arriving at a decision?

If I have Windows XP I can use it on one machine at a time -- O wait, that
doesn't work.  See what I mean about forcing crackers to their work?
Frankly, Windows ME is the last "bug fixer/maker" that I won't pay for...

We are getting closer to the "at loggerheads" issues between copyrights and
fair use.  Should I have to buy separate copies of songs for my old
turntable, my CD carousel, and my computer MP3 player?  So, if I want to
hear Syd Barrett sing "See Emily Play" I have to stay home and hear it on
vinyl (which I have) or pay for more mobile copies of the song as CD or MP3
(that would then be duplicate copies for me)?  I think I know what the music
industry wants here -- but when is enough $$$ actually going to be enough
$$$ for them?!  At least digital copies of things allow me to never have to
buy any more old vinyl stuff ever again -- I'll just transfer it to a new
format: MP3, MP3Pro, Windows Media, whatever...

...the street has its own uses for things.

Those aren't direct answers, but I think my leanings and tendencies are
showing anyway...

-- Hop-Frog