 Off-Topic / Debate / 15732
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:21:40 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

Lately I've been lightheartedly condemning a coworker for his habit of
signing CD's out of the local library, burning copies of them, and returning
the originals, all without paying a cent to the copyright owner, of course.
But in considering a number of "yeah, but..." propositions, I came up with
this one:

Suppose I buy a CD and, in accordance with my understanding "fair use"
regulations, I make a copy for my own private use.  I retain the original
but listen to the copy.  Now suppose at some point my finances become
strained, and I am obliged to sell the original copy of the CD.  What am I
required to do with my backup copy?  Do I give it to the buyer for no
additional charge?  Do I destroy it?

Probably from an absolute standpoint, you would be required to destroy
it. I can't see that anyone would be upset if you gave it with the
original.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com