 Off-Topic / Debate / 15781
Re: Copyright/Fair use question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 07:33:22 GMT

I see at the bottom you acknowledge that how IP works is a tough cookie,
so please take the following questions not as criticism, but as ways to
probe the workings of IP...

Christopher Weeks wrote:

If he wouldn't have purchased it a million years, then why would he want
you to give a copy to him?

Maybe he's broke.  Maybe he likes it enough to check it out, but not enough to
procure a copy.  Maybe it would be useful, but not useful enough to pay the
asking price.

Incidentally, I once searched for a way to pay a shareware producer ~$20 when
he was asking $50.  I thought that paying something was the right thing to do,
but I wasn't going to get $50 of value from it.  It was impossible.  The legal
thing to do, I think, was to not use it.  The reality is that I used it a
few times and paid nothing.  Dumb system.

Is it really that dumb? In our current culture, I think that if the
producer allowed a range of contributions, that 70% or more of the
customers would pay the minimum. From what I can see, for the most part
the shareware didn't really work, at least not as a business model. Note
that most of the shareware packages which actually became popular enough
to really make money all converted to regular products.

As far as the broke guy, why does he deserve free goods? Or are you
arguing that ideas are not goods? If so, how do we determine how to
fairly compensate idea generators? If ideas aren't goods, can I build
the Blacksmith Shop and show it to friends and say: "Look at the cool
blacksmith shop I designed!"

If you're giving a copy to him because he wants
it but wouldn't in a million years deign to purchase it, then it's theft.

Well, it's something.  Maybe theft...I've called it that in the past.  But it
seems materially different in that it causes no harm to the owner of the
copyright.

Does it really cause no harm? Where is the line drawn (well, I would
have paid a penny for it, well, I would have paid a buck for it, well, I
would have paid one cent less than list price for it)?

I suspect that for us to truly enter the digital age, we will have to
create a new understanding of just which ideas are goods and which
aren't, and how to value them, and what constitutes use of them which
must be compensated.

Frank