 Off-Topic / Debate / 15730
Re: left-leaning pantywaists in Britain (Re: So are they prisoners of war or what?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:11:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Scott A wrote:

It's my understanding that Walker

is alleged to have

Oops.  Fair enough.

committed by the other detainees.  Since Walker is a citizen, for
instance, he is able to commit treason against the US, but the average
Al-Qaida member is not similarly able.  Therefore, Walker can be arrested
for treason and therefore tried in the US, while non-US citizens cannot be
so arrested.  Further, as a US citizein, Walker's crime is also an offense
separate from that of the other detainees; the detainees engaged in war
against the US, while Walker engaged in treason.

Indeed. But there are UK "detainees" in Cuba too. Could these guys not have
committed treason against the UK? Could they not go on trial in the UK with
real charges against them?

Maybe--has the UK made any effort to extradite those detainees (who have,
I understand, reported that conditions in the detainment center are
perfectly adequate)?

It was claimed that they were "happy" - which I thought odd.

The UK detainees are still different from Walker. The current action in
Afghanistan is a direct reaction to an attack on US soil. This Walker is
alleged to have treasoned against the US, the UK detainees are just non
Afghans, just like the various other non-Afghans involved.

I thought that Walker was charged with acting against coalition forces in
Afghanistan – not involvement in the events of 11.09.01?

I'm not sure I'm remembering right, but aren't all the Guantanamo
detainees non-Afghans.

That was my understanding.

In my mind though, I'm not really sure I support calling Walker a
traitor. A country is not truly free if you can not chose to leave. Now
we may argue whether Walker truly indicated his desire to renounce the
US, and I do see a difference between a non-citizen attacking the US and
a citizen, but not much. Mostly, what I want to see is the actual
actions of the various detainees evaluated, and appropriate recourse
taken. Out of pride and trust in our own system, they should be granted
many of the protections of our system, so long as that can be done
safely. But these folk have lost some of their right to claim protection
under our system because fundamentally they reject the system.

Given that his change of sides was so complete, I must admit it did surprise
me a little too – it is not as if he was a fifth columnist.

One does not need to be an expert on "international wartime legalese" to
know that the conditions these *alleged* terrorists are being kept in does
not meet the standards one would normally expect.

The conditions of their incarceration in fact greatly exceed what I "would
normally expect" to be maintained for American prisoners held by foreign
powers, so what "one would normally expect" seems mostly irrelevant to me.

That is irrelevant (even if true). But I do wonder how the next US POW's
will be treated.

It certainly won't help. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much stock
to put in the whole idea of the Geneva Convention. How workable is it
really? In reality, the treatment of POWs depends on the perceptions of
the entity holding the prisoners. The Germans treated US and UK
prisoners relatively well because we treated their prisoners well, and
they probably really feared what would happen if they mistreated the
prisoners. Russian prisoners were not treated so well. Sure, signing of
treaties appears to be the reason, but ultimately, the reason is
expectations.

This is more than just “treaties” though is it not? It is about protecting
the rights of these people. Most other western nations are able to treat
terrorist suspects with the dignity they deserve as human beings – I’m not
sure why the USA should choose a different path , especially when one
remembers  that this war is supposedly in defence of “freedom”.

The conflicts I see in today's world are far messier than WWII. For the
most part, they are attempts by desperate leaders to gain or maintain
power. Unfortunately, rather than appealing to reason, and motivating
their citizens to join them in demanding fairness, they have decided
that the "Western world" is a pack of devils out to demolish their way
of life, and are selling that to their citizens.

Do you think that view is 100% wrong? I do not. Time-after-time I see
situations where more value is put on "western" lives (or even western
lifestyles) than is a non-western life.

Scott A