 Off-Topic / Debate / 15577
Re: So are they prisoners of war or what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:43:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Given the amount of debate here following Sept 11th, I am surprised this hasn't come up in this forum before.

Are the  al-Qaida suspects detained at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base being treated fairly?

And if the US is at war with terrorists, are they prisoners of war?

lawrence

As an aside to begin with I am concerned that no Americans have responded to
this thread.  Possible reasons for this are:

They have not seen the pictures we have and so do not think the prisoners
are being mistreated.
They have seen more pictures which have convinced them the prisoners are not
being mistreated any more.
They have seen the pictures and think that the level of treatment is in line
with the treatment an American suspected of terrorist acts would recieve.
They have seen the pictures and agree that harsher treatment of foreign
nationals than Americans is acceptable.

We know so little about this.  I don't trust the media much but here are the
things I think we need to know.

If they are not prisoners of war then what is their status?
Have they been charged with any crimes?
Are there not standards of treatment for foreign nationals awaiting trial in
the U.S? Are these different to the standards for U.S. citizens? (I would
hope not as I think that would be unconstitutional (I can't find the
reference I want as don't have time))
What is the real reason for taking them to Cuba? - we believe there is some
legal loophole being exploited but I would like to know more
Now Donald Rumsfeld has said further prisoners will not go to Camp X-Ray-
where will they go? and does the other place have the same legal fuzziness?

I would be interested to hear the view of some Americans so I can understand
if they are seeing what we are, why they think this is being done and if
they understand or care about the damage that is undoubtedly being done
(rightly or wrongly, and I think rightly) to America's moral stance.