 Off-Topic / Debate / 15511
Re: So are they prisoners of war or what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:07:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Given the amount of debate here following Sept 11th, I am surprised this hasn't come up in this forum before.

Are the  al-Qaida suspects detained at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base being treated fairly?

And if the US is at war with terrorists, are they prisoners of war?

They are human beings first. As far as I can see the whole issue is being
undertaken for the benefit of US domestic opinion - which *appears* to
largely support what is happening (the power of governing by focus group).
I'm sure OBL is very happy with the hard work W is doing for him.

That said, it may all end soon:
Court challenge to US detentions
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1774000/1774643.stm

I wonder if they will get compensation? ;)

Scott A

lawrence