 Off-Topic / Debate / 15594
Re: So are they prisoners of war or what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:46:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Given the amount of debate here following Sept 11th, I am surprised this hasn't come up in this forum before.

Are the  al-Qaida suspects detained at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base being treated fairly?

Probably.  I suspect you mean, "are they being treated legally?", to which I
would answer, probably not.

And if the US is at war with terrorists, are they prisoners of war?

Interesting gray area.  In the conventional sense, I would think not - but
they would then have the rights of any accused criminal held by the U.S.,
which I think would work out to be even more protective.  Further, they are
being held on a military base, which would indicate to me that they *are*
prisoners of war.  I also think the authorities want to try them under
miliary law, which would also imply prisoner of war.

I think the U.S. wants to have its cake and eat it, too (get the best of two
worlds without any drawbacks of choosing either course).

Bruce