 Off-Topic / Debate / 15710
Re: left-leaning pantywaists in Britain (Re: So are they prisoners of war or what?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:28:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:

So the US press does talk about this...

And totally misses the point, though the first one about standards of
justice stares it in the face and still misses it.  The point is whether
they are being treated better or worse than American citizens accused of
similar crimes would be (I have now been convinced by the Red Cross
inspection that their situation is acceptable), why the American citizen
amongst them is not being held with them and whether he is receiving a
better standard of treatment where he is. (I am very dubious indeed about
this, and particularly the message it sends)

There has still been very little comment from any Americans on this thread,
is it because those on Lugnet find the U.S. actions indefensible?  If so I
wish they would say so.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020204-197659,00.html

   That's a pretty interesting discussion of lawful combatants versus al-Qaeda.
   Personally, I'd like for the determination of "lawfulness" of the combatants
   to be made by a judge or somesuch, because then it would be "official" and
   written in legal terms.  But I do not doubt that the Cuba detainees were
   *not* lawful combatants (one reason I'm happy to have that determination
   made by a tribunal, even a European tribunal, that hears the evidence).

   So my opinion is:  Correct conclusion, incorrect process.  Much the same,
   actually, as a lot of things the US government does; in the process of
   doing something basically necessary, they manage to anger everyone.  A lack
   of tact, if you will.

   best

   LFB