 Off-Topic / Debate / 13879
Re: Libertarian comes through for the Terrorists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:28:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed "Boxer" Jones writes:
Should we have to sacrifice some of our personal liberties and privacy to win >this campaign. Yes, we are going to have to.

I strongly disagree.

It is precisely this kind of knee-jerk, poorly thought out logic that leads
us down the path of the destruction of our beloved republic.  Protecting our
civil rights, enumerated and unemurated in the U.S. Constitution and
elsewhere, is the very purpose of our goverment.  If the purpose of our
goverment is going to shift from its true purpose to an endless battle with
an unseen opponent -- and what is sacrificed to this end is the very soul of
our representative democracy -- then we have lost everything already.  We
are no longer the United States I know and love.

Let me also assert that this "campaign" cannot be won.  You cannot fight
what you cannot see.  These terrorists could be anywhere. They operate in
independent cells and if you destroy one, another exists to take its place.
The way to win in this case is not to have screwed things up in the first
place.  A second approach would be to right the wrongs we have committed by
remaining far more neutral in our foreign affairs policies in the future.
Let's simply try not to make any more enemies.  We are not the world's
police and we should never have tried to be that either.  We are not here to
make the world safe for democracy -- but rather to shine a light into the
darkness of world politics by being that one striking example of
well-organized self-rule. Let others do as they see fit.  As they respect
our right to our way of life, so should we respect their right to whatever
they wish for themselves.

I will borrow our "great" leader's logic and assert that you are either for
or against the true purpose of our government -- either for or against the
Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights,
and the many state constitutions.  There is no middle ground.  If you cannot
defend the ideals of our society, then stop calling yourself a patriot.

Any attempts to mitigate the spirit of our liberty documents is simply
unamerican and worse than anything a terrorist might do.  If there is any
point to destroying what we are from within, then perhaps I just don't get
it.  I would rather die a U.S. patriot than live under the coming tyranny
favored by the fearful sheep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot
survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for
he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst
those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the
alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor
appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he
wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies
deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works
secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he
infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less
to fear."
--Marcus Tullius Cicero 42B.C.

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits
drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the
limits of the law', becasue law is often but the tyrant's will, and always
so when it violates the rights of the individual."
--Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because America is good. When America ceases to be good,
America will cease to be great."
--Alexis de Tocqueville

"He that writes in blood and aphorisms does not want to be read, but learnt
by heart."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

I would sign the Bill of Rights in my own blood.

-- Hop-Frog