 Off-Topic / Debate / 13877
Re: Libertarian comes through for the Terrorists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:43:15 GMT

This text questions the premis that it was an attack on freedom and liberty:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4266289,00.html

It is a long text, but well worth the read.

You know what, Scott? You are absolutely right. That text IS worth the read
and anyone who is wondering if the Guardian harbors fools or fellow
travelers or not ought to go read it and carefully think about the bile that
this author spews.

   Wow.  That's something.  He's even dead wrong on details;
   at least two of the hijackers *did* leave suicide notes, in
   the form of wills.

   Argue all you like about the justness of the US response and
   whether that's consistent with our message, but I can't deny
   that the initial attack was an attack against our way of life.
   Not against what it *is* so much as what it's perceived to be.
   I'm still not too hot on Dubya--he still makes me cringe with
   some of his words--but he was right about one thing:  these
   people don't know the whole story.  Just as much as we need
   to be enlightened about the world and others' views, they need
   to understand *us* too.  Islamic scholarship was historically about
   learning and tolerance and understanding the world--but, as has
   been repeatedly and categorically stated by commentators from
   all over the world, it's being hijacked by extremists.

   Just as the Civil War wasn't all about slavery at the start,
   that's what it became about.  Just as this wasn't all about
   a safe and just world before last 11th, that's what it's about
   now--what it should have been about all along.

   best

   LFB