 Off-Topic / Debate / 13933
Re: Libertarian comes through for the Terrorists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 07:53:08 GMT

I believe Bush said something to the effect of "you will be our ally and
help us root out terrorism or you side with terrorism and are the enemy"
Not a direct quote, this is the crux of it.

Paul has voted against a bill designed to help root out terrorism.
Irregardless of his reasons for doing so, the impression he leaves by voting
against the bill is that he does not side with those who would root out
terrorism and therefore sides with the terrorists.  Simple logic.

Yeah, the simple logic of a simple cowboy president. Do you always believe
what your president says?

Does this bill invade privacy issues - definitely.  Should it - if we're
going to root out all money channels, transfer agents, limited partnerships,
participating in moving terrorist money, it has to.  Should we have to
sacrifice some of our personal liberties and privacy to win this campaign.
Yes, we are going to have to.

I don't know how exactly you define privacy.

According to my definition, privacy is something individuals should be able
to enjoy. So, in an ideal world, no data whatsoever about them should be
stored anywhere. Obviously, this is not possible, so there is already some
sacrifice. For any additional sacrifice, there should be a good, indeed a
very good reason. If someone feels this good reason does not exist for a
particular measure being taken, then being against that makes him a defender
of civil rights, not a terrorist.

As far as companies are concerned, I don't think they have a right for
privacy. So, everything a company does or has, including especially their
money, should be as publicly known as possible. So, no problem there.

:wq

Horst