 Off-Topic / Debate / 13852
Re: Libertarian comes through for the Terrorists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:03:17 GMT

I say Bravo for Ron Paul and shame on the rest of them for this particular
outcome. You should dig into what these bills actually do before you start
complaining about voices urging caution or pointing out flaws. I have and
I'm scared.

Hmmm...

I believe Bush said something to the effect of "you will be our ally and
help us root out terrorism or you side with terrorism and are the enemy"
Not a direct quote, this is the crux of it.

Paul has voted against a bill designed to help root out terrorism.
Irregardless of his reasons for doing so, the impression he leaves by voting
against the bill is that he does not side with those who would root out
terrorism and therefore sides with the terrorists.  Simple logic.

Overstated, maybe.  Is his voting against the bill going to win any converts
to libertarianism.  I don't think so.

Does this bill invade privacy issues - definitely.  Should it - if we're
going to root out all money channels, transfer agents, limited partnerships,
participating in moving terrorist money, it has to.  Should we have to
sacrifice some of our personal liberties and privacy to win this campaign.
Yes, we are going to have to.