 Off-Topic / Debate / 13851
Re: "Centuries old piece of paper" still pretty darn good
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:39:26 GMT

I'm not getting a Christmas card then?

I don't send Christmas cards, I'm not christian. But you won't be getting a
Winter Solstice card either, no.

I really do worry about you Larry. I really do. I though you'd like this:

"The Constitution gives every American the inalienable right to make a damn
fool of himself." (John Ciardi)

Charitably, we even extend that right to foreigners (speaking on American
soil, which this venue is an outpost of) such as yourself. Can you say the
same about Britons? I think not.

You are freer than Afghans or Iraqis to speak your mind. Free enough that we
count your country as a true and steadfast friend (not because of people
like you, mind you, but because of the majority of right thinking Britons),
yet still not as free as we.

That despite the fact that, as James alludes to, we drew much from your
previous history. Our common law is based on yours (and the just presumption
of innocence) rather than Napoleonic (and the pernicious presumption of
guilt), we took the basis of "one man one vote" and "no taxation without
representation" from you, and we share much else. We have a long history of
friendship and common support in times of need (despite the war of 1812,
which we have forgiven you for long long ago).

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the UK and all things
British. I even count myself an anglophile. Yet, regrettably, the UK
contains its share of fools and villains and fellow travelers. Some of them
write for the Guardian. Some of them post here.