 Off-Topic / Debate / 13998
Re: "The Constitution is what the judges say it is"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:22:05 GMT

My comment was caricature.

My point exactly, if not directly stated.

I said it was a caricature in the message you replied to(!) :)

I would say "free", but try to talk be round if you want!

A bit garbled - I'm not quite sure what you are saying here.  Sorry.  But I
think I address what you are trying to say below.

I would say "free", but try to talk me round if you want!

They are freedoms to me... perhaps it is my culture.

No, it's not you culture.  The people of Chicago often noted that they felt
more secure with Mayor Daley even though the gave up freedoms for it (not
sure they thought about it in those terms, however).  You pay your money,
you take your choice, of course, but you need to be careful about being
honest with yourself.  I acknowledge that I am giving up a freedom in paying
taxes (I think it can work out in my favor, but a Libertarian would
disagree).  The point being, though, I'm aware of the trade-off.

So you think I'm less free as I don't/can't have a gun, even though I would
feel less free if I did have one? I’d rather have real freedoms than
theoretical ones!

Scott A

Bruce