 Off-Topic / Debate / 13999
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:24:09 GMT

Why was there no demo explosion in an uninhabited island to convince the
Japanese of the power of the bomb? What would be lost? If it failed - nobody
would know. If the real thing failed, the Japanese would have a bomb (or at
least bits of one).

No, the idea was that they'd invite other nations to send representatives to
witness the event-- not that we couldn't have merely recorded the event
anyway.

  I'd question that part.  Not too many years earlier a good chunk of the US
populace believed we were being invaded by Mars. Even today, credulous lout
believe that the moon landings were faked, so if we'd simply shown a film of
our nuclear tests, I expect that many would not have been convinced.

     Dave!