 Off-Topic / Debate / 14001
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:42:02 GMT

No, the idea was that they'd invite other nations to send representatives to
witness the event-- not that we couldn't have merely recorded the event
anyway.

I'd question that part.  Not too many years earlier a good chunk of the US
populace believed we were being invaded by Mars. Even today, credulous lout
believe that the moon landings were faked, so if we'd simply shown a film of
our nuclear tests, I expect that many would not have been convinced.

True-- although mainly I think it would be evidence provided twofold-- I.E.
"Here are before and after shots of this island, here's a videotape of us
blowing it up, and here it is now. Go to the island and verify yourself if
you don't believe us." Although granted, it could still have been
"hoaxified", I'm sure, and would under scrutiny. But back in the day, it was
at the very least harder to fake than it would be now... I dunno. Anyway,
suffice to say I think the idea was that it would be a "public
demonstration"; quite possibly for the reasons you brought up...

DaveE