 Off-Topic / Debate / 14022
Re: "The Constitution is what the judges say it is"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:43:28 GMT

So you think I'm less free as I don't/can't have a gun, even though I would
feel less free if I did have one? I’d rather have real freedoms than
theoretical ones!

I said nothing about guns in specific.  Nor does this address what I said:
you can give up a freedom for security.  Okay, this is what you have done:
you can't carry a gun, but you feel more secure because of it.  You'd rather
have the security of not having to worry about guns.  That's okay.  I'm not
trying to debate whether that is the correct decision.  But you have given
up a real freedom (of debatable value, but a *real* one) for something that
is better defined as a security, and not a freedom.

Hmm. I see your point. Secure means this:
"able to avoid being harmed by any risk, danger or threat"

Simply, free means this "not limited or controlled".

I think the UK being "gun free", gives me both.

I suppose another freedom I have lost which has given me more freedom is the
freedom to drive as fast as I wish. The fact that the limit on my street is
20 mph (~33km/h ?) means that I am not "not limited or controlled" by the
fact that I have motorway speeds (70mph in the UK) outside my home.

Scott A

Bruce