 Off-Topic / Debate / 14021
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:33:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  The most devastating war in ALL of human history is a very
  hard thing to Monday-morning quarterback.  In a total war,
  how much is too much?  Historians try to put themselves into
  the contextual position, and to figure out who knew what, when,
  and why they might have made the decisions they did.  And to
  my satisfaction--both personal *and* professional--the right
  decision was made.  Indeed, it was the only politically and
  strategically--in the long term--viable decision given the
  context of 1945.

That is open to argument, but I don't have enough knowledge of politics at • the
time, so I'll bow to your greater knowledge. But though it's changing the
subject of the thread, I still believe the acts of dropping the bombs were
terrorism, no matter whether or not they were necessary / justifiable.

  By that definition,

I see no definition there, only opinion.

*any* act taken in a military conflict is
  "terrorism."

I've made my distinction several times before - attacks on *military targets* I
don't consider terrorism.

The major difference

Compared to what?

is that the civilians of Japan
  had no basis for an *expectation* of safety

????? So what???? What has their "expectation of safety" to do with whether or
not it was terrorism?

--especially when you
  consider what happened to Tokyo in March, and virtually every
  *other* Japanese city (and even their own, lightly) within the
  preceding year.

Are you saying you don't consider Aug 45 terrorism because of the
indiscriminate firebombing of Tokyo in March?

  They were a nation at war, fully mobilized, and prepared for
  defence (in fact, they went into the shelters at first).  The
  weapon was dropped from a US plane, with limited escort.  I'd
  call that very, very, very straightforward.  War causes terror,
  as well it should--but terrorism is defined as:

  "The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person
  or an organized group against people or property with the intention
  of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for
  ideological or political reasons."  (American Heritage)

I've seen many attempted definitions of terrorism. Many are similar to this. So
let's go with it for now.

  Seems to me that in a declared war, by standards of international
  law articulated to that time, the bombing was lawful.  (In fact,
  I defy you to locate pre-1945 evidence that it was not.)

Check out http://www.dannen.com/decision/int-law.html Particularly: Protection
of Civilian Populations Against Bombing From the Air in Case of War, League of
Nations, September 30, 1938

And note
  that it says "organized group" for the actor and "government" for the
  target, which implies that there must also be a severe disparity
  of power between the terrorist and the target of terror.

In your opinion. It doesn't give any limit on the size of the group (or the
size of the government / society).

You can
  argue that Japan's power in 1945 wasn't even the merest shadow of
  the U.S.'s, but that's taking the historical moment out of context
  and reversing the expected relationship.

  So no, I don't believe it was "terrorism" as the term is generally
  defined.  It caused terror, but it was an act of destruction in
  war, not terrorism against a society at peace.  I'd also argue that
  Pearl Harbor wasn't a terrorist attack, nor was Port Arthur.

Pearl Harbour: Definitely a military target, so not terrorism.
Port Arthur: No attempt to coerce anyone - just a massacre resulting from the
wrong person getting access to firearms & too much money. Certainly not
terrorism.

  Attempting to equate military acts against specific targets during
  war with terror attacks against civilians during peacetime is, IMHO,
  dead wrong.

Tow points here:

1. Change it to "...specific military targets..." and I totally agree.
2. bin Laden has declared war on the US, so it's not peacetime, no matter what
the citizens of the US want to think. He's given several warnings in the past,
and people chose not to do anything (when did all the talk about increased
security begin?)

So I think it *is* valid to compare Aug 45 with Sep 11, though the method and
overall size of the two were significantly different, they were both (IMHO)
terrorist acts.

Regards

ROSCO