 Off-Topic / Debate / 14016
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 03:28:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  The most devastating war in ALL of human history is a very
  hard thing to Monday-morning quarterback.  In a total war,
  how much is too much?  Historians try to put themselves into
  the contextual position, and to figure out who knew what, when,
  and why they might have made the decisions they did.  And to
  my satisfaction--both personal *and* professional--the right
  decision was made.  Indeed, it was the only politically and
  strategically--in the long term--viable decision given the
  context of 1945.

That is open to argument, but I don't have enough knowledge of politics at the
time, so I'll bow to your greater knowledge. But though it's changing the
subject of the thread, I still believe the acts of dropping the bombs were
terrorism, no matter whether or not they were necessary / justifiable.

   By that definition, *any* act taken in a military conflict is
   "terrorism."  The major difference is that the civilians of Japan
   had no basis for an *expectation* of safety--especially when you
   consider what happened to Tokyo in March, and virtually every
   *other* Japanese city (and even their own, lightly) within the
   preceding year.

   They were a nation at war, fully mobilized, and prepared for
   defence (in fact, they went into the shelters at first).  The
   weapon was dropped from a US plane, with limited escort.  I'd
   call that very, very, very straightforward.  War causes terror,
   as well it should--but terrorism is defined as:

   "The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person
   or an organized group against people or property with the intention
   of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for
   ideological or political reasons."  (American Heritage)

   Seems to me that in a declared war, by standards of international
   law articulated to that time, the bombing was lawful.  (In fact,
   I defy you to locate pre-1945 evidence that it was not.)  And note
   that it says "organized group" for the actor and "government" for the
   target, which implies that there must also be a severe disparity
   of power between the terrorist and the target of terror.  You can
   argue that Japan's power in 1945 wasn't even the merest shadow of
   the U.S.'s, but that's taking the historical moment out of context
   and reversing the expected relationship.

   So no, I don't believe it was "terrorism" as the term is generally
   defined.  It caused terror, but it was an act of destruction in
   war, not terrorism against a society at peace.  I'd also argue that
   Pearl Harbor wasn't a terrorist attack, nor was Port Arthur.

   Attempting to equate military acts against specific targets during
   war with terror attacks against civilians during peacetime is, IMHO,
   dead wrong.

   best

   LFB