 Off-Topic / Debate / 14015
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 03:26:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

I think you need to make this point a little clearer - I definitely don't
agree that those attacks weren't terrorism.

Let me see if I can paraphrase your position accurately:
Regarding an enemy who not long before had made an unprovoked attack against
US soil, an enemy that had been responsible for hideous medical experiments
(not to mention the extermination of huge numbers of Chinese), you're stating
that it is an act of terrorism for the US to drop bombs on two cities of that
enemy in an effort to bring to an end the most costly and destructive war in
history.  Do I have the essence of your argument?  It's easy for me to see why
you equate such actions with the seizure of four planes full of passengers and
using those passengers as missiles.  If I'm wrong, please articulate for me • how
the cowardly actions of internationally recognized terrorists is morally
equivalent to wartime solutions undertaken during war by the US against an
enemy that had declared war on the US.

It's easy to use words like "cowardly" in such situations - were the pilots
flying the planes which dropped the bombs "cowardly"? No they were following
orders (they may have even volunteered). Was Truman "cowardly" then - he wasn't
prepared to go drop them bombs himself?

It's also easy to use phrases like "wartime solutions". Has not bin Laden
declared war on the US (http://www.fas.org/irp/world/para/ladin.htm)?

I say again, whether or not it was a "solution", whether or not it was
"necessary", whether or not Japan (at the time) was as evil empire, the act of
dropping the bombs on civilian cities (knowing it would cause great death and
destruction, and with reports that the radiation would probably also cause much
more pain) was still terrorism.

ROSCO