 Off-Topic / Debate / 14024
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 03:42:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

It's easy to use words like "cowardly" in such situations - were the pilots
flying the planes which dropped the bombs "cowardly"? No they were following
orders (they may have even volunteered). Was Truman "cowardly" then - he
wasn't prepared to go drop them bombs himself?

  Let's not blur the issue here.  What was cowardly about the Sept 11 terrorism
was that it took no courage to hijack civilian aircraft during peacetime and
steer helpless civilian passengers into buildings.  That's hardly the same as
the US dropping bombs during war on a nation that had declared war on the US.

It's also easy to use phrases like "wartime solutions". Has not bin Laden
declared war on the US (http://www.fas.org/irp/world/para/ladin.htm)?

  You're stating, in effect, that if I declare war on New Jersey, it is morally
acceptable for me to kill thousands of innocent New Jersey residents.  Whether
or not bin Laden has declared war on us, we had not, as of the 11th, entered
into war with him.  Japan, in 1941, declared war on us, and we in turn
responded to that declaration.

I say again, whether or not it was a "solution", whether or not it was
"necessary", whether or not Japan (at the time) was as evil empire, the act of
dropping the bombs on civilian cities (knowing it would cause great death and
destruction, and with reports that the radiation would probably also cause
much more pain) was still terrorism.

   But you're still not answering the question.  Terrorism, in the sense that
you're using it, becomes a blank check of a term, since you're allowing
yourself to avoid moral judgments by invoking a buzzword.  So I'll ask you
plainly: do you feel that the Sept 11 suicide bombing, in which civilians (in a
nation that was not at war) were used as missiles is morally equivalent to the
death of civilians in a nation that had declared war on its enemy, during a
time when Japan was certainly aware of the war?

     Dave!