 Off-Topic / Debate / 14037
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:23:44 GMT

Let's not blur the issue here.  What was cowardly about the Sept 11 terrorism
was that it took no courage to hijack civilian aircraft during peacetime and
steer helpless civilian passengers into buildings.  That's hardly the same as
the US dropping bombs during war on a nation that had declared war on the US.

Yes, let's not blur the issue-- what part does being cowardly have in being
a terrorist? Let's say they flew their own planes into our buildings. No
longer a terrorist action? I don't think whether they/we were cowardly or
not is really relevant at all.

It's also easy to use phrases like "wartime solutions". Has not bin Laden
declared war on the US (http://www.fas.org/irp/world/para/ladin.htm)?

You're stating, in effect, that if I declare war on New Jersey, it is morally
acceptable for me to kill thousands of innocent New Jersey residents.

Let's also not blur this issue. Does terrorism by definition need to be
morrally inacceptable? I don't think so. Morality doesn't really play a
part, as far as I'm concerned. It can still be moral, yet terrorist. But
then again, that's me being a moral relativist. Would it be moral for you to
"kill thousands of innocent [so what if they're innocent? another useless
point?] New Jersey residents"? Sure-- assuming you really believe it's
moral. But I'd still call it a terrorist act.

Whether
or not bin Laden has declared war on us, we had not, as of the 11th, entered
into war with him.  Japan, in 1941, declared war on us, and we in turn
responded to that declaration.

And haven't we been at war with bin Laden *anyway*? Hasn't he been on our #1
most wanted list for a while now? Haven't we merely been incapable of
retaliating due to political reasons?

I say again, whether or not it was a "solution", whether or not it was
"necessary", whether or not Japan (at the time) was as evil empire, the act
of dropping the bombs on civilian cities (knowing it would cause great death
and destruction, and with reports that the radiation would probably also
cause much more pain) was still terrorism.

  But you're still not answering the question.

Perhaps you could state the question? I thought it was "was the bombing
necessary?" With a side topic of "was it terrorism?" He answered the latter
at the very least, and implied an answer to the 1st-- IE that it was
unnecessary.

Terrorism, in the sense that
you're using it, becomes a blank check of a term, since you're allowing
yourself to avoid moral judgments by invoking a buzzword.

So I'll ask you plainly: do you feel that the Sept 11 suicide bombing, in
which civilians (in a nation that was not at war) were used as missiles is
morally equivalent to the death of civilians in a nation that had declared
war on its enemy, during a time when Japan was certainly aware of the war?

See above. Terrorism has nothing to do with morality. In my book. While you
can have moral judgements of terrorism, terrorism is not necessarily tied to
one particular moral judgement.

DaveE