 Off-Topic / Debate / 14038
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:33:57 GMT

So.... how is that not "might makes right?" Or "Larry makes right" as the
case may be. How is this subjective judgement any better than their
subjective judgment of us?

Well that's the crux of the hole in my argument.

Yes, but not for the reasons you state, I think. The hole is that I don't
think morality is necessarily tied to these events. Whether or not it was a
moral action doesn't matter to whether it was "necessary" or not, unless
your ends are specifically moral. And further it also doesn't play into
whether the action was a terrorist act or not.

Really, it's the hole in your morality argument (which I love getting into
*anyway*, but isn't "necessary" at the moment), and arguably the hole in
your "there is no God" argument, but that's ok. You've freely admitted such.
Quite frankly, I think it's swerving the real issue here to turn this into a
moral question, until one evaluates our other options in WWII, assuming we
had some (I.E. that it WASN'T a necessary action).

So I'll ask again, to what end were the bombings "necessary?" What
specifically was there to be accomplished in which dropping a-bombs was the
only solution? And to that end, were any other options we may have had any
better? THERE's where morality jumps into the picture. And that's where we
can agree to disagree.

DaveE