 Off-Topic / Debate / 14043
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:36:50 GMT

Yes, let's not blur the issue-- what part does being cowardly have in being
a terrorist? Let's say they flew their own planes into our buildings. No
longer a terrorist action? I don't think whether they/we were cowardly or
not is really relevant at all.

  It would still be cowardly for them to fly their own planes into the
buildings because they would be making an unprovoked attack against innocent
and unsuspecting civilians on the civilians' home soil during a time when
the home nation was at peace.  An unprovoked sneak attack on innocent and
unsuspecting civilians is cowardly.  It wasn't my intent to say that
terrorism equals cowardice, nor vice versa.  It's possible for a terrorist
to be a coward, just as it's possible for a terrorist to be a librarian.
That doesn't change the fact that the acts of Sept 11 were cowardly.

Let's also not blur this issue. Does terrorism by definition need to be
morrally inacceptable? I don't think so. Morality doesn't really play a
part, as far as I'm concerned. It can still be moral, yet terrorist. But
then again, that's me being a moral relativist. Would it be moral for you to
"kill thousands of innocent [so what if they're innocent? another useless
point?] New Jersey residents"?

  The morality is hardly a useless point--it's the essence of the argument.
If you're a relativist, then there's no point in going further.

And haven't we been at war with bin Laden *anyway*? Hasn't he been on our #1
most wanted list for a while now? Haven't we merely been incapable of
retaliating due to political reasons?

  One's being on a wanted list is not the same as having war declared on
one, except to a relativist.  Is it relevant that politics might have played
a role in our previous actions or inaction against him?  I don't think so.

See above. Terrorism has nothing to do with morality. In my book. While you
can have moral judgements of terrorism, terrorism is not necessarily tied to
one particular moral judgement.

  So if terrorism has nothing to do with morality, is it wrong?  By your
elastic moral yardstick it would be perfectly acceptable for me to torture
to death every man, woman, and child in Afghanistan, as long as I believed
it was moral.  I disagree completely, so maybe that's the end of it.