 Off-Topic / Debate / 14044
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:31:34 GMT

If the end was intended to be moral, but it is achieved by immoral
actions (immoral in this usage means bad morals, not amoral) it comes out
immoral anyway. If the end was intended to be immoral, no amount of moral
(humane, good, etc. taken in the smaller context of specific to that action)
actions can make the end moral.

So terrorism, I think, by definition, is immoral, and taints the outcome of
whatever it supports.

That by the way puts the onus on me more than ever to demonstrate that the
a-bomb usage wasn't terrorism and wasn't immoral, else our "good" taking on
the Axis "evil" is tainted nonetheless as not completely moral.

  In your defense, though, I would assert that it's not necessary
(possible?) to be completely moral.  However, in a field of several choices,
the greatest "net good" outcome is preferable to less "net good" outcomes.
We can be criticized after the fact, as we've seen, but only in terms of
alternative outcomes extant at the time.
  I wouldn't care to posit the specific calculus, but I don't think the
concept is too far off the mark.

     Dave!