 Off-Topic / Debate / 14036
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:14:39 GMT

I know this, I don't support taking title to land away from those that
peacefully are in possession of it and giving it to someone else, whether as
spoils of war, or to raise money for the state, or to satisfy expansionist
goals, etc. This is something that Israel has done. This is something that
the US has done. In both cases it needs to be undone. Don't know how. Won't
be easy. But needs doing.

Please note, I make a strong distinction between title and sovereignity.
(the following is a hypothetical example) If the US suddenly turned into a
repressive evil regime and attacked Canada, if Canada fought back and
conquered Michigan, I would expect that I would have a new government, but I
would expect that I still would have title to my land, even if I owed
allegiance to a new state. (end hypothetical example. The US has issues, and
is usurping freedom with anti terrorist measures, but is not currently a
repressive evil regime)

no argument there from me - one question though.  what if, fearing the
canadians, you abandon your land for 30 years?  do you still own it, and
everything that has been built on it since?  it's possible to contend that
whoever settled the (now deserted) land had no right to do so, but I actually
think that by abandoning it, you gave up your ownership of the land.  Same as
if I throw away an old computer, and my neighbour takes it and upgrades it, I
can't suddenly say "oh - that's mine, give it back".

Or can I?

DanB (not to be confused with DanJ)