 Off-Topic / Debate / 14011
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:51:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  The most devastating war in ALL of human history is a very
  hard thing to Monday-morning quarterback.  In a total war,
  how much is too much?  Historians try to put themselves into
  the contextual position, and to figure out who knew what, when,
  and why they might have made the decisions they did.  And to
  my satisfaction--both personal *and* professional--the right
  decision was made.  Indeed, it was the only politically and
  strategically--in the long term--viable decision given the
  context of 1945.

That is open to argument, but I don't have enough knowledge of politics at the
time, so I'll bow to your greater knowledge. But though it's changing the
subject of the thread, I still believe the acts of dropping the bombs were
terrorism, no matter whether or not they were necessary / justifiable.

ROSCO