 Off-Topic / Debate / 14012
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:56:28 GMT

If I'm wrong, please articulate for me how
the cowardly actions of internationally recognized terrorists is morally
equivalent to wartime solutions undertaken during war by the US against an
enemy that had declared war on the US.

The problem is the hole I dug for myself here. We hold them to be terrorists
but they do not hold themselves as such. Rather they see themselves as
combatants in a war against evil (US) which they *have* declared, some time
ago, and which they have been *fighting* for some time. By their morals they
are on the side of good and the weapons they used in this declared war were
effective and appropriate.

That it is an asymmetrical war (we were hardly fighting back,
ClintonCigars(1) don't count) is irrelevant, I think, for after all, the US
revolution was asymmetrical, although not to this degree. Britain
(thankfully) never brought its entire attention and force to bear on us all
at the same time so we were able to win, with some help.

Sorry that you walked into a hole meant for me.

Something in what I said is leaving this hole because I'm still convinced
we're good and they are evil, just as we were good and Japan was evil at the
time, and that there's a way to show it, and that it doesn't depend on the
good side being 100% good or the evil side being 0% good. (although 51-49 is
right out)

1 - er, ClintonCruiseMissiles(tm)

++Lar