 Off-Topic / Debate / 14006
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:58:51 GMT

Ok, I looked. I can't find it. I tried various search strings on the
off-topic.debate(1), read through 90% of the results (skimming the other 10%
admittedly) and I can't find any place (where you partook) other than the
thread starting around here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=13613

It's pretty recent that this topic came up, I'll find you the thread start.

Or
perhaps I didn't search hard enough-- or you were just mistaken.

Either is possible.

   Nope, it was definitely a thread.  My post on the subject,
   which includes why I think it was both political and necessary,
   is here:

   http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=12464

Honestly, it sounds like you were making a rather "might-makes-right"
argument when it all boiled down to it-- but again, maybe I'm mistaken.

No, my argument is more of a "if you're at war, use the appropriate weapon
for the job", as I tend to reject "might makes right" in what I hope is a
pretty consistent way and welcome being called on it if I ever lean on that
particular statement to support anything.

   The most devastating war in ALL of human history is a very
   hard thing to Monday-morning quarterback.  In a total war,
   how much is too much?  Historians try to put themselves into
   the contextual position, and to figure out who knew what, when,
   and why they might have made the decisions they did.  And to
   my satisfaction--both personal *and* professional--the right
   decision was made.  Indeed, it was the only politically and
   strategically--in the long term--viable decision given the
   context of 1945.

   best

   LFB