 Off-Topic / Debate / 14005
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:03:55 GMT

I haven't yet read the site (I dunno if I will-- depends I guess), but it
really leads me to wonder whether anyone out there actually *DOES* believe
it was "necessary"?

No time to dig into this in depth but I should point out that I have, in
this very group, already taken the stance that *both* bombings were necessary.

Ok, I looked. I can't find it. I tried various search strings on the
off-topic.debate(1), read through 90% of the results (skimming the other 10%
admittedly) and I can't find any place (where you partook) other than the
thread starting around here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=13613

It's pretty recent that this topic came up, I'll find you the thread start.

Or
perhaps I didn't search hard enough-- or you were just mistaken.

Either is possible.

Honestly, it sounds like you were making a rather "might-makes-right"
argument when it all boiled down to it-- but again, maybe I'm mistaken.

No, my argument is more of a "if you're at war, use the appropriate weapon
for the job", as I tend to reject "might makes right" in what I hope is a
pretty consistent way and welcome being called on it if I ever lean on that
particular statement to support anything.

At
any rate, I'm still not the most informed person on WWII, but I disagree
with your position. Specifically:

I'll discuss that if you like, but not whether using nukes in WW II was
terrorism. It wasn't. (I again say shame on you for even suggesting it
was).

OK, what in that do you disagree with, specifically? I would say that if it
can be demonstrated that if any particular weapon is the most effective and
appropriate weapon under valid reasoning based on the facts available at the
time, using it in a war that pits good against evil is not terrorism.

Would you agree with that premise? That reduces the argument a bit. It also
reduces the scope of the argument if you disagree with the premise.

And also:
I have, in this very group, already taken the stance that *both* bombings
were necessary.

Unless of course:
- in the former case, you define terrorism quite differently than I (or
define the motive of the US/"the terrorists" differently than I).
- in the latter case, you define the ends of "necessary" to be something
rather atrociously unlike anything I would have deemed as the ends.

I'm not sure I agree that the above follows from what I said that precedes it.

++Lar