 Off-Topic / Debate / 13613
Re: More on Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 02:49:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
Because this is an Israel Palestine thread now, I thought I'd toss this in:

http://www.nationalreview.com/contributors/levin100801.shtml

Interesting that he talks about Japan as though we don't owe them anything,
after we committed against them 2 of the worst single acts of terrorism the
world has known.

WE? That, I suspect, was the US's doing, and the US's alone, I don't think
FDR consulted ANZAC. So you're off the hook.

But please explain how it was terrorism, exactly, to win a war against an
evil empire with less loss of life than a protracted island by island, house
to house campaign? Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren't military targets, perhaps?

This raises a different, and relevant, point, though. If a government
deliberately mixes military installations in amongst civilians, thickly
interspersed, does it have the right to fairly cry foul if those military
targets are attacked with collateral damage during the prosecution of a war
that it started? I think not.

Democracies and free societies tend not to do that sort of siting.
Dictatorships tend to do that sort of siting and then cite it in their
propaganda when the inevitable happens.

Why is that?