 Off-Topic / Debate / 14004
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:17:29 GMT

I haven't yet read the site (I dunno if I will-- depends I guess), but it
really leads me to wonder whether anyone out there actually *DOES* believe
it was "necessary"?

No time to dig into this in depth but I should point out that I have, in
this very group, already taken the stance that *both* bombings were necessary.

Ok, I looked. I can't find it. I tried various search strings on the
off-topic.debate(1), read through 90% of the results (skimming the other 10%
admittedly) and I can't find any place (where you partook) other than the
thread starting around here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=13613

And oddly enough, I also came across a quote in that thread stating AGAIN
that you actually had discussed it within this forum:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=13617
"This exact debate has been held here before, nothing has changed my view"

So I can only assume that in fact you meant that your viewpoint had never
actually been expressed here (lugnet.off-topic.debate) prior to, oh, about
October 8th, 2001 (depending on your time zone), and that you meant that you
were thoroughly convinced by a debate held by others in this forum. Or
perhaps I didn't search hard enough-- or you were just mistaken.

Honestly, it sounds like you were making a rather "might-makes-right"
argument when it all boiled down to it-- but again, maybe I'm mistaken. At
any rate, I'm still not the most informed person on WWII, but I disagree
with your position. Specifically:

I'll discuss that if you like, but not whether using nukes in WW II was
terrorism. It wasn't. (I again say shame on you for even suggesting it
was).

And also:
I have, in this very group, already taken the stance that *both* bombings
were necessary.

Unless of course:
- in the former case, you define terrorism quite differently than I (or
define the motive of the US/"the terrorists" differently than I).
- in the latter case, you define the ends of "necessary" to be something
rather atrociously unlike anything I would have deemed as the ends.

DaveE

(1) Specifically:
+Pieniazek +Hiroshima
+Pieniazek +Nagasaki