 Off-Topic / Debate / 14028
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:09:21 GMT

<snip>

But though it's changing the
subject of the thread, I still believe the acts of dropping the bombs were
terrorism, no matter whether or not they were necessary / justifiable.

  By that definition,

I see no definition there, only opinion.

*any* act taken in a military conflict is
  "terrorism."

I've made my distinction several times before - attacks on *military targets* I
don't consider terrorism.

<snip>

I love trying to define words.

I also can't stay out of this forum.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, here's my take on the definition of terrorism...

I consider *war*, in general, to be a terrible thing.

Is the word *terrible* not drived from *terror*?

(or purhaps vice-versa?)

Therefor *war* is *terror* and anyone taking part in a war is by definition
a *terrorist*.

It matters not your morals or lack thereof or reason whatsoever for being
engaged in a war.

(Personnaly, I'd rather not be branded as a terrorist, but rather a
patriot... it has a much better ring to it)

In war, lives are taken.

I imagine that most people feel some form of terror at the realization of
impending doom.  (I understand that some people actually view death as a
form of transcendence).

Man, I love doing this with words.  Is there a word for what I've just done
here (bastardize is not an acceptable discription)?