 Off-Topic / Debate / 14029
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:29:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

I consider *war*, in general, to be a terrible thing.
Is the word *terrible* not drived from *terror*?
Therefor *war* is *terror* and anyone taking part in a war is by definition
a *terrorist*.

  Well, that's a little hasty.  I consider Bionicle to be terrible, but LEGO
isn't a terrorist organization as a result.  I would suggest that, rather
than trying to define words (which, to me, suggests an effort to identify
with relative precision the meanings of words), you are actually trying to
extend the meaning of a word to the point that it has no useful meaning.
This has been attempted previously in OT.DEBATE with such words as "faith"
and "religion."
  Bravo to you for trying to define the terms of the debate, but I think
you're going about it in a somewhat backwards fashion.

Man, I love doing this with words.  Is there a word for what I've just done
here (bastardize is not an acceptable discription)?

  How about "dissemble" or "spin" or "equivocate?"  "Gerrymandering" works
by analogous extension, as does "evasion."

     Dave!