 Off-Topic / Debate / 14030
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:33:21 GMT

But I'm not a moral relativist. I hold them as evil nonetheless, and it's
not because 90% of the world would vote that way in a poll.

So.... how is that not "might makes right?" Or "Larry makes right" as the
case may be. How is this subjective judgement any better than their
subjective judgment of us?

So maybe this whole calculus is flawed unless you can show the goodness of
one side (not sure it needs to be 100% perfect) or the evil of the other
without using moral justifications that are relative.

By my book it only matters what the intentions are of those committing the
act. We can't ever objectively know the true reasons behind either the Sept.
11th attacks nor the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings. But we can take a good
guess at it. And my guess is that both were done *primarily* to scare
people-- not to reduce the target's offensive power (hence would be a resort
of actual defense).

Anyway, I still don't see how your argument makes Hiroshima/Nagasaki a NON
terrorist act, and how at the same time Sept. 11th WAS a terrorist act.
Unless you plead "might makes right". Or you can prove our motives were
otherwise.

Reply here or to http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=14018 whichever
your pleasure.

DaveE